Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Moving from dependence to Dependence

This is rough. Last night our Bible Study group discussed the topic of having dependence on other Christians in order to stay strong in our battles. We were reading 2 Chronicles 12. We reached verse 17 where it says,

"David went out to meet them and said to them, 'If you have come to me in peace, to help me, I am ready to have you unite with me. But if you have come to betray me to my enemies when my hands are free of violence, may the God of our fathers see it and judge you.'"

David depended on God to justify himself, rather than having his army that stood behind him justify himself. David, while still willing to have his friends support him, his ultimate reliance was on God.

I have been depending on other Christians to support me than I have depending on God to be my support. I am so sorry God! I have not been waiting upon You to save me! I want to strive to please You first before I try to please others...

I have broken the greatest commandment: love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength. I mean, my Christian friends are great and wonderful, but I have been placing so much more reliance on them and my girlfriend, rather than relying on the One who gave me life.

So, from now on, I'm going to try and depend on God first, rather than others.